Thursday, December 25, 2014

Ring out the old, ring in the new.

Hello fellow travelers,

Today we are beginning a new leg of our Vintage Journey with our host, the talented, Brenda.  Her challenge to us is to use this poem by Alfred Tennyson.
 
“Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.”      
Alfred Tennyson
 
Focus on these key words from the poem - old, new, bells, snow, year and
interpret one or more of them in anyway you like. 
 
Here is my interpretation:
 
 
 This project actually turned out to cover several lines in the poem.  Back in October I posted a Halloween project using Tim's Assemblage Clock.  Shown below.  As crafters we like to make all sorts of things and I like to make things for challenges. The problem is, what to do with them when you're done?  This time around I decided to
upcycle the Assemblage Clock.   I took it all apart, covered it with gesso and then added a thick layer of Silver Stickles.  The purple came through in a softer, lovelier shade.   I rather liked it.  Ring out the old, ring in the new.


After digging around in my studio I found the glass that I had previously removed and glued it on the front of the clock on the outside.  Next I cut out a ring for the front to cover my glue line.   I found some bells at the dollar store that were perfect for this project and filled the inside of the clock.  Ring, happy bells, across the snow.
 

 


Next I cut the XII from the Weathered Clock Die and added it to the top of the clock.
I used some of Tim's Type Charms .  After cutting off the loop on top and filing them down I added the numbers using my electronic cutter.  I brushed on some Silver Stickles before adding the epoxy dots.  On each side of the XII I added the years 2014 & 2015.  The year is going, let him go.
 
I filled in the back with a picture of an hour glass. 
My original thought for the top of the clock was to use a wire edge ribbon to add a large bow.  After giving that some thought I decided to use curling ribbon so I could add streamers like you see on New Year's Eve.  Ring out the false, ring in the true.
 
 
 Here's wishing you a "safe" and happy new year celebration.  Best wishes for the coming year.

S@ndy

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandy. I enjoy your log spot. See you in a few weeks in AZ. Judy Ulmen

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for commenting.