Thursday, August 14, 2014

Word Play @ Country View Challenge

Hi all,

I am excited to be here today to share some thoughts and a project with you.   As one of the top 3 winners over at Country View Challenge Blog, for my Love the Red, White and Blue project, where the theme was "Only Men Allowed" I get to join the group this month. The theme for August is 'Word Play' which means anything to do with quotes and sayings but not including sentiments for cards.  I hope you will stop over to see what's going on at the challenge blog by clicking here.

Since I am currently enjoying a road trip through Alaska I decided to go with a travel theme.  A few years ago there was a Sunday TV program called, "On The Road", hosted by Charles Kuralt.  He would visit little out of the way places all across America.  Interviewing the local people and finding some very interesting things and folks.  I found a quote by him that just tickled me so I had to use it.  Although I am seeing things of interest and fascination along the way I just had to use his quote.  I have incorporated it in a scrapbook page that I made while we were in Canada.  I am scraping along the way so hopefully I will have a very thick book when I get home.  Here is my page and the quote is enlarged at the bottom to make it easier to read.



Here is his quote:  Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is  possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything.

Coming from Arizona where we love the cactus and rocks it is very refreshing to spend some time among the Pine Trees which is my inspiration for this page. 

After finding the paper I wanted to use, both from K & Company (I've had this paper pad a long time). I started my layout. 
 
 
Next up - scanned the "post card" section of the paper, put my quote on it, printed it and cut it out - then placed it on top of the one on the paper. 
 

                

Once I added my quote - I cut off the parts of the paper that I didn't need, ripped the edges, distressed the edges with Vintage Photo DI, curled some of the edges and it was ready for the next embellishments.  Mac is always asking me why I take a perfectly good piece of paper and change it.  Well, I guess the answer is, because I can!!


Once I had my quote on, I was ready to go with the rest of the embellishments.  I printed two pictures of the campground with the beautiful tress and placed them on at the top corner.  Next I used the Tim Holtz Blueprint Tree and Die Set.  I simply cut off the star on top of the tree and it became a lovely pine in the forest. After adding a little Shabby Shutter Distress Marker they were ready to go.  I popped them up with foam dots.

I Stamped the Road Trip on a coordinating piece of paper and cut it out by hand, distressed the edges and added it.  I then stamped the Blueprint Compass directly on the page.  I used the Movers and Shapers Dies for the pointy finger and camera. I wanted to use some silver paper for the back of the camera but didn't have any so used duct tape and it worked just fine. " Out of necessity comes creativity".  I put an epoxy dot for the lenses.   I added a star as a map dot,  added a word band "capture life's moments".  The top corner looked a little naked so added some gears and it is done.



I hope you have enjoyed my take on "Word Play".

Stay Crafty My Friends,
S@ndy

6 comments:

  1. I think your layout is just fabulous S@ndy and such clever use of the map paper! It has made me slightly homesick for the pines of Canada, seeing your wonderful photos! That quote is just so funny too, I love it and I love your beautiful layout. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this and what a fabulous idea,a great layout.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful and fun lay out! And your quote is right on target!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful layout such beautiful trees thanks for sharing x Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous to have you along for the Word Play theme, S@ndy, and I absolutely love your travelling creation. Wonderful photos and I love the little postcard!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great creative piece! Hard to believe it's been about 20 years since Kuralt's last show. Loved them. Have you read his book on it? Very interesting reading.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for commenting.